NUMBER: 1005490

RANK: Sergeant

UNIT: 608 Squadron RAF Coastal Command



STATUS: Killed in Action

DATE OF DEATH: 2nd August 1941

WHERE BURIED: Fleckefjiord, Norway

MEDALS: Aircrew Europe, 1939-45 Star, Victory Medal, Defence Medal

Photo of SGt. G. Law

George Law was born in 1921 in Northallerton and lived in Boroughbridge Road. He was the son of Hubert and Emily Law and brother to Frank. George won a scholarship to the Grammar School where he joined the Grammar School Scout Troop. He started work as an assistant librarian in Zetland Street but volunteered for the RAF in early 1940.

He trained as a wireless operator/air gunner and was posted to No 608 Squadron with the rank of sergeant. This squadron was flying Whitley Bombers with Coastal Command from Thorney Island in Hampshire. The Whitley was an aircraft of limited ability and range which, by 1941, had been taken off bombing operations as the newer and more effective Halifax and Lancaster came into squadron service. By 1941 the squadron had moved to RAF Thornaby and had converted to Lockheed Hudsons, a twin engined American aircraft. RAF Station Thornaby was a coastal Command base and for the first year of the war operated the Avro Anson affectionately known as 'Annie'. The Anson was a slow twin engined patrol aircraft with a small bomb load and a single gun turret. It was phased out of operational service and replaced by a whole variety of aircraft.

George flew several maritime patrols and on one occasion his aircraft was attacked by German fighters but the crew managed beat off the attack and get back to base. During an operation over the North Sea with No 608 Squadron George's aircraft, Hudson H-AM 599, was shot down and he was killed along with Sgt Broomhead (pilot) Sgt Thomas (navigator) and Sgt Christie (gunner).

George Law lies buried in Fleckefjiord Norway and is remembered in the Central Church of the Royal Air Force St. Clement Danes, London, the Northallerton War Memorial, the Memorial in All Saints Parish Church, the NALGO Memorial in County Hall and the Grammar School Memorial Plaque.

George was aged 20 years.