THE THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Picture of Memorial The Thiepval Memorial commemorates a total of 72,085 men who died in the Somme Sector of the Western Front up until 20th March 1918 and who have no known grave. Over 90% were killed between 1st July and 4th November 1916, during the Battle of The Somme. Their bodies were either lost forever, or were found when the battlefields were cleared, by which time all trace of their identity had disappeared.
The Memorial, which was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, took four years to complete and was unveiled on 31st July 1932. It is 150 feet high and its sixteen piers are faced with portland stone on which the names of the missing are engraved. Below the memorial is an Anglo-French cemetery with equal numbers (300 each) of French and British graves to symbolise the fact that both countries fought and died in this area.
The Thiepval Memorial dominates the skyline of the Somme Battlefield.